Dr. Ashit M. Shah
Aashray Urology Institute
80A Sampatrao Colony, Off R.C. Dutt Road, Alkapuri
Vadodara 390007Gujarat, India
M.B.B.S. , M.S. (General Surgery) , D.N.B. (Genito-Urinary Surgery) , D.L.U. (France)
- 1989 – Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.)Medical College and M.S. University, Baroda.
- 1993 – Master of Surgery (M.S.) in General Surgery
Medical College and S.S.G. Hospital, Baroda.
- 1997 - Diplomate of National Board (D.N.B.) in Genito-Urinary Surgery
Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital, Nadiad; National Board of
- 2006 –Diplomate in Laparoscopic Urology
Louis Pasteur University, Strasbourg, France
Private Clinical practice as Chief Urologist at:
Aashray Urology Institute
80 A Sampatrao Colony
Off R. C. Dutt road
Work experience of more than 22 years in Urology.
Exposed to various disciplines in Urology viz. Endo-Urology, Andrology, Pediatric Urology, Kidney Transplantation, Urodynamics, Uro-oncology and Reconstructive Urology in premier national Urological institutes:
Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital, Nadiad.
Institute of Kidney Diseases and Research Centre, Ahmedabad.
Carried out over 150 live Kidney Transplantations as part of renal transplantation team.
Trained in Urology under stalwarts like Dr. S. D. Bapat, Dr. Mahesh Desai and Dr. R.B. Sabnis.
Received training in Andrology under Dr. Rupin Shah (the pioneer Andrologist of the country) for 2 years.
Trained on live tissue in Laparoscopic Urology at European Institute of Telesurgery, France.
RESEARCH EXPERIENCE :
1. CLINICAL EVALUATOR
- Clinically evaluated the prototype KARL STORZ IMAGE 1 HX, HX-P camera head, a part of IMAGE 1 SPIES HX system
- Clinical evaluated the “Efficacy and Tolerability of FDC of Tamsulosin SR plus Tolterodine LA in Patients with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia” (RX/MACR/2004-14)
- Clinically evaluated the feasibility of Transurethral Bipolar Enucleation (TUBE) in patients using the prototype Karl Storz Bipolar Vapo enucleation electrode
2. SYMPOSIUM CONVENOR
Conducted a Symposium on “Peri-operative sterilisation - The Sacred Cows” in The Urological Society of India, West zone chapter; XXV Annual Conference at Goa on September 13th, 2015, Goa
3. FACULTY MEMBER
- ‘Update in Andrology’ by Indian Medical Association at Medical Conference Hall, SSG Hospital, Baroda – December 6th, 1998.
- Symposium on ‘Urology in next Millennium’ by I.M.A., Baroda branch – August 8th, 1999.
- “Marketing of Health Services” - Training Programme by Baroda Management Association, Nov- Dec, 2000.
- Workshop on Male Sexual Dysfunction at Hotel Holiday Inn, Baroda by I.M.A., Baroda branch – December 2000.
- Andrology Workshop at Hotel Holiday Inn, Baroda – 2001.
- CME by I.M.A., Baroda branch, “Recurrent U.T.I.” - April 2001.
- “Management of Nursing Homes” - Certificate Course by Baroda Management Association, August 30th, 2001.
- Course on ‘Human Resource Management’ by Baroda Management Association, 2001.
- “Recent advances in Endourology and Laparoscopy” - Gujarat Urological Association; 4th Annual Conference at Mehsana on January 5th, 2002
- “Workshop on “Marketing of Health Services” - by Baroda Management Association, Sept-Oct, 2002.
- “The Fertility of Infertility Management in Private Practice” - Ahmedabad Urological Association; 5th Annual Conference at Ahmedabad on January 5th, 2003;
- Symposium on ‘Azoospermia’ – The Urological Society of India, West zone chapter; XIII Annual Conference at Goa on September 13th, 2003.
- “Dam the flow”- Big debate on Use of Combination therapy of Tamsulosin and Tolterodine in Patients with LUTS and BPH. - The Urological Society of India, West zone chapter; XVII Annual Conference, Goa, 2007.
- ‘Kidney Disease awareness drive’ – Symposium Organised by Narmada Kidney Foundation, Mumbai on occasion of World Kidney Day at C. C. Mehta auditorium, Vadodara; March 2008.
- ‘Understanding kidney diseases’ – Symposium organised by Indian Medical Association, Vadodara at Hotel Express Residency; March 2008.
- Symposium on ‘Discoveries in Urology’ – The Urological Society of India, West zone chapter; XVIII Annual Conference at Solapur on November 16th, 2008.
- Programme on Kidney awareness organized on the World Kidney Day by National Kidney Foundation at Prof. C. C. Mehta auditorium, Vadodara on 9th March, 2009
- “Urinary Incontinence” – Scientific symposium at Sterling hospital, Ahmedabad; November 8th, 2009.
- “Uro-Gynaec Update” – organized by Study Circle,Vadodara and Vadodara Uro-Nephro Association at Hotel Surya Palace on 29 August, 2010
- ‘Understanding Carcinoma Prostate’ UROQUEST symposium at Hotel Taj Gateway; September 26th, 2010.
- “Childhood to Manhood and beyond! Testosterone replacement therapy” in The Urological Society of India, West zone chapter; XXII Annual Conference at Lonavala on September 15th, 2012.
- “Mini Perc in unusual situations” in The Urological Society of India, West zone chapter; XXIII Annual Conference at Raipur on September 27th, 2013.
- Symposium on “The Economics of Urology” in The Urological Society of India, West zone chapter; XXIV Annual Conference at Vadodara on September 27th, 2014.
- “Understanding Bipolar Technology in TUR(P)” in The Urological Society of India, West zone chapter; XXIV Annual Conference at Vadodara on September 28th, 2014.
- “Fosfomycin Trometamol - The promising Antibiotic Therapy in the Management of UTI” - Xpanse, VIIth International Urology Summit, 20th June, 2015, Goa
- "Management of UTI: What’s true, What’s new"’ Panel Discussion in UROSCOPE on 3rd December, 2016 at Coimbatore
- "Cross-fires in Urology” Speaker For PCNL in PCNL vs RIRS; Breakout session at IX International Summit Xpanse, at Mahabalipuram on 7th April, 2017
- "Panel discussion with experts" a CME on 'Sexuality Audit' on 20th August, 2017 at Vadodara.
4. GUEST LECTURES
- “Urology in the new millennium” – Indian Medical Association, Modasa branch, August 1998.
- Indian Medical Association, Anand branch, April 17, 1999. – “Urology in the new millennium”.
- “Urology in 21st Century”– Indian Medical Association, Broach, 2000.
- “Recent advances in the management of Male Infertility”– Indian Medical Association, Godhra, 2000.
- Indian Medical Association, Ankleshwar branch, year 2000 – “Urology in the new millennium”.
- “Recent advances in Urology and Andrology” - Baroda General Practitioners’ Association on April 28th, 2000.
- “Managing Male Infertility from a Gynaecologist’s chamber” – Baroda Obstetric and Gynaecology society on 19th January, 2001.
- “Urology in the new millennium” – Indian Medical Association, Dabhoi branch, 2002.
- “Preventive aspects of Kidney Disease” – Builders’ Association of India – Baroda chapter, Hotel Welcome, June 15th, 2002.
- “Urological problems in the elderly” – Senior Citizens’ association, O.P. road branch; July 2002. “Managing BPH from your office” – Consultants of Baroda, March 2004.
- “Myths and Facts in Urology"- Indian Medical Association, Dahod, April 2004
- “Managing Urological Problems from your clinic" – Family Physician's Association, Baroda, May 2005.
- “Managing Urological Problems from your clinic” – Homeopathic Medical Association of India, Baroda, May 2006.
- “Office management of Urological disorders”- All India Video Conference – February 2008.
- “Marketing of Medical practice – The ethical way” – 60th Annual Conference of Indian Medical Association, Gujarat state branch; November 21st, 2008.
- “Managing Urological Problems from your clinic” – Consultants’ association, Halol; February 3rd, 2010’
- ‘Urology-Interactive CME’ – Family Physicians’ Association, Vadodara, 3 July, 2011
- What you need to know about Urology” - Pioneer Medical College, Vadodara as an Invited Speaker from Lion’s Club of Baroda, Race Course Circle, Vadodara.
- “Redefining The Role of Family Physician in Urological Disorders” -at FPCON - 2014, Vadodara; 23rd February, 2014.
- “Place and Role of Newer molecules in the treatment paradigm’ - Vadodara Physicians’ Association meet at Hotel Gateway, Vadodara; June 2015
- “Place and Role of Newer molecules in the treatment paradigm’ at Saturday Club, Vadodara on 19th September, 2015
- “Managing Urological Problems from your clinic” – Consultants’ association, Halol; March 8th, 2017’
5. CHAIRING A SCIENTIFIC SESSION
- Surgical update 2002, organized by Gujarat State Surgeons’ Association, A.S.I., and Baroda Surgeons’ Association at Hotel Welcome on October 20th, 2002.
- “Urinary Calculus Disease – Yesterday and Today”.
Update in Practice Management, organized by Indian Academy of Paediatrics, Vadodara branch, at Hotel Tropicana on December 15th, 2002. – Session I.
- Video presentation (Scientific papers), WZUSICON 2007.
- 9th AMASI skill course organised by Association of Minimal Access Surgeons’ of India on 4th October, 2008.
- Symposium on ‘Pitfalls in Urodynamics’ – The Urological Society of India, West zone chapter; XVIII Annual Conference at Solapur; 14th to 16th November, 2008.
- “Bipolar TURP for very large prostates - A myth or reality?” – The Urological Society of India, West zone chapter; XXIII Annual Conference at Raipur; 27th September, 2013.
- “State of the art Lecture” - Advancements in Endourology at Gujarat University Convention Centre, Ahmedabad; 14th February, 2016.
- Dr. Ashit Shah conducting a 'Balloon debate' in the workshop "Art of Prostate Enucleation: Laser versus Bipolar” on19th June,2016 at Vadodara.
6. PAPER PRESENTATIONS AT VARIOUS CONFERENCES
- “Early definitive treatment in Decompensated prostatic obstruction" at USICON (WZ) 1994, Kolhapur.
- “Normal Uroflowmetric Parameters – An Indian Experience" at USICON 1994, Calcutta.
- “Relevance of IPSS in Indian Population" at USICON (WZ) 1995, Goa.
- “Turbidity test – A new method in evaluation of stone formers" at USICON 1995, Bangalore.
- “Urological complications of Renal Transplantation" at ISOT1996, Ahmedabad.
- "Correlation of IPSS and Uroflowmetry in BPH" at USICON (WZ) 1996, Indore.
- "Role of TRUS in evaluation of infertile males with low volume ejaculate" at USICON 1996, Bombay.
- "The Indian Penile Prosthesis" Video presentation at USICON (WZ) 1997, Jamnagar.
- "Sex at 90 – Fact or Fiction" at USICON (WZ) 1997, Jamnagar.
- "Varying presentations of Ectopic Ureters in females" at USICON (WZ) 1997, Jamnagar.
- "Dismembered Pyeloplasty – factors affecting success" at GUSSACON 1997, Modasa.
- "Pyeloplasty in children" at Pediatric Urology conference 1998, Nadiad.
Predicting The Future Of Urology – Looking Beyond The Horizon! - International Journal of Basic and Applied Physiology Volume 1, Issue1, December 2012.
Editor: Urogynaecology Update, Issue 5.
Editor: Urogynaecology Update, Issue 6.
- Article titled “Stone in your kidney?” in INSIGHT magazine (March - April, 1998). Health article in ABHIYAAN magazine (13th March, 2004).
- Health article in Gujarat Healthline (April,2005).
- Health article in ABHIYAAN magazine (21st April, 2007).
- Articles on “Stone disease and its treatment” and “Prostate gland and its diseases” in FEELINGS magazine (15th September, 2007).
- Health article in ‘Paanchmi Disha’ magazine
Endo urology Update - 1994 (Urological Society of India). Co-authored chapters on Shock wave Lithotripsy, PCNL for staghorn calculi, and Ureteroscopic removal of ureteric calculi.
- “Sex counselling a must today” – The Times of India (Baroda Times); December 26, 1998.
- “Combating Kidney stones” – The Times of India (Baroda Times); May 13, 2000.
- "Do you have Kidney stone?" – The Indian Express (Body and Mind); April 27, 2003.
- “Do you have enlarged prostate?” – The Indian Express (Vadodara News line); December 28, 2003.
- “Preventable causes of renal failure” – Divya Bhaskar; March 6, 2008.
- Article on ‘Renal failure’ on the occasion of World Kidney Day – Sandesh; March 11, 2010.
E] PUBLISHED ABSTRACTS AND PRESENTATIONS
Published over 45 Abstracts and Presentations at various Urological conferences.
8. RADIO / TELEVISION PROGRAMMES / VIDEO CONFERENCES
- “Hello Doctor” - An interactive talk show on urological disorders; All India Radio, Vadodara on October 8th, 2006.
- “How can we minimize the gap between Patient and Doctor”, a talk show on VNM T.V.; February 12th, 2009.
- “Kidney care tips” – Radio Mirchi; April 2010.
- Chat on urinary Incontinence – Radio Mirchi, October 2010.
- ‘How to prevent kidney stone formation’ – Red FM; May 2016
- Webcast on UTI for Gynaecologists - August, 2014
- Video conference on ‘Role of Fosfomycin in Uncomplicated Cystitis’ - November, 2015
9. INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES / WORKSHOPS / SEMINARS ATTENDED
Attended 21 International Conferences/ Workshops/ Seminars
10. Organisational Capabilities
- Organising Secretary (Joint), 24th Annual Conference Urological Society of India, West Zone at Vadodara; 25th - 28th September, 2014
- Active member of Organising committee, “The Latest and Best in BPH” at Ahmedabad; 14th and 15th December, 2013.
- Active member of Organising committee, Advancements in Endourology at Ahmedabad; 13th and 14th February, 2016.
- Organising committee member, Urological Clinics of Vadodara: Workshop on ‘Art of Prostate Enucleation: Laser Versus Bipolar' at Vadodara; 19th June, 2016.
11. MEMBERSHIP OF VARIOUS BODIES
- Mensa Club, U.K.
- Societe’ International d’ Urologie
- American Urological Association
- Urological Society of India
- European Institute of Telesurgery, France
- National Academy of Medical Sciences
- Indian Society of Organ Transplantation
- Endourological Society
- Indian Medical Association
- Council of Sex Education and Parenthood (International) Urological Society of India, West zone chapter
- Continuing Urological Education – Credit Society (U.S.I.) Gujarat Urological Society
- Indian Society of Pediatric Urology
- Gujarat Medical Association
- UroNephro Association of Vadodara
- IMA Academy of Medical Specialities
- Baroda Surgeons’ Association
- Alumni of Muljibhai Association
- Alumni Association of Medical College, Baroda
- Consumer Education and Research Centre
- ‘IM4 Doctors’
12. SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Trustee, Shroffs Foundation Trust, Vadodara
- Trustee, The M.L.Gandhi Higher Education Society, Modasa
- Active Member, Annapurna Trust in Modasa, Aravalli District, Gujarat; a trust for providing food to patients and relatives at negligible cost